Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Smoking Regulations at Home and Abroad

When I asked my son Ari what he wanted for his 30th birthday, he replied, “A golf trip to Scotland with my father.” Great strategy for, if he had said a golf trip to Scotland with a friend, what would have been my response? This seemed rather doable.

As I contemplated previous trips to Europe, I recalled the difficulty of visiting places in countries with no restrictions on smoking where seemingly everyone smoked. I have been a non-smoker my entire life and am quite uncomfortable when someone lights up within smelling distance of where I am sitting.

To my absolute delight upon arrival, I learned that Scotland had now become a non-smoking country, as least for public buildings, restaurants, hotels and other public venues. I can report a fabulous trip with incredible golf, great memories and only one offense with the whole smoking issue. That was my caddie at St. Andrews Links, as he sauntered the course rolling his smokes with a parade of jokes that made him a walking comedian.

I left asking myself why Michigan is unable to enact laws with the same restrictions? I wonder why non-smokers must be subjected to second-hand smoke, when it is hard to refute the argument that it is dangerous to those exposed to someone's burning cigarette or cigar? I pray on behalf of my children and grandchildren that the legislators of Michigan find a way to join the many states and nations that believe their citizens are entitled to clean air in public places.

David Techner, Funeral Director

No comments:

Post a Comment